The attorneys of Poerio & Walter, Inc., with offices in Pittsburgh and Harrisburg, founded our firm after working for many years at much larger firms, because we wanted to provide the personal client service too often missing in large firms.
Our clients are self-insured employers, insurance companies, third-party adjusting companies, closely held businesses, and any business requiring legal representation in the area of workers’ compensation defense, insurance defense, employment law, or other business transactions and disputes.
We represent businesses of all sized and types, as well as individuals, throughout Pennsylvania and West Virginia. The firm’s practice in the areas of subrogation and recoveries, as well as Federal Black Lung defense, is nationwide.
Poerio & Walter, Inc. is proud to have met the rigid requirements for membership in Your House Counsel®, a nationwide consortium of Highly Qualified Insurance and Corporate Defense Law Firms – your national solution to local representation. Your House Counsel® is The One To Turn To.
Service That Sets Us Apart – Small Firm With Big Capabilities
We work closely with our clients and are committed to protecting their rights. Whether your business is local or nationwide, you can be confident that the lawyers of Poerio & Walter, Inc., will put our experience, dedication, and determination to work on your behalf. We make it our mission to guide you in a cost-effective and timely manner.
Meet Our Attorneys
- Attorney James Poerio focuses on workers’ compensation defense and the defense of coal mine operators involved in federal black lung litigation. His legal work involving the Federal Black Lung Benefits Act spans more than 30 years.
- Attorney Robert Walter represents employers and insurance carriers in the areas of workers’ compensation litigation, unemployment compensation, and Heart & Lung Act defense. He was a shareholder in the Pittsburgh headquarters of Tucker Arensberg, P.C. with James Poerio before joining forces to create Poerio & Walter, Inc.
- Attorney Jonathan Beech joined the firm in 2008. Previously he was a Senior Claims Specialist with Cincinnati Insurance Company. At Poerio & Walter, Inc., his practice focuses on workers’ compensation defense, general liability defense, as well as subrogation & recoveries.
- Attorney Eugene Tempesta is Of Counsel to the firm. He is a legal and business professional focusing in the areas of business and corporate law, contract, employment, franchising, sports, e-commerce and copyright & trademark law, along with strategic business planning, marketing, budgeting, and estate planning.
- Attorney Warner Mariani recently joined the firm and is admitted to practice in Pennsylvania, as well as the United States Federal District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, and the Third Circuit Court of Appeals. His practice primarily focuses on litigation, estate planning, probate, and business representation.
- William J. Hiller, Jr. joined Poerio & Walter, Inc. in 2012 to lead the firm’s claims audit practice. Bill is a graduate of Robert Morris University. His insurance claim consulting career began in 1982 with Johnson & Higgins of Pennsylvania. Bill quickly earned the respect of the casualty claim department manager, who invited him to begin his career in the claim consulting business as a claim technical support representative. His responsibilities included property and casualty claim consulting both with Fortune 500 Companies as well as prominent personal lines clients.